Friday, October 5, 2007

NYC's Gothic Barbie



Unfortunately there's not a whole lot of information about this artist but I'll tell you what I know.

Known locally as NYC's Gothic Barbie, FLXX (pronounced Flex) has been a club promoter for many many years. I remember seeing her at John Blair's Sunday night parties at Limelight back in the day.

One of the DJ's that was in heavy rotation there at the time was James Andersen. Who knows how it all came together, but FLXX and James collaborated on a little known song called "Ready To Love Again" which I heard many a night at Limelight and at The Roxy as well.

It's a very odd song about heartbreak and FLXX has an interesting voice to go along with it. I don't know what it is about this song but I have always enjoyed it. James' production is extremely simplistic here but it does work.

I found a one track promo CD at the now defunct record store Heartbeat Records in NYC years back and I even got the chance to see FLXX do an unplugged version of this song at Limelight as well.

While it may not be for everyone, it's worth checking out.

FLXX - Ready To Love Again (JM's James Andersen Radio Edit)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/50261113362537/

No comments: