Thursday, November 8, 2007

Kickin It OLD School!!!


What can be said about the state of house music today?
Well this much I am sure of, it sure as hell ain't what it used to be!!!
Don't get me wrong, remixers are still putting out some slammin stuff...but where are the classics?? Where are the songs you hear and you just can't get enough of!?
The ones that dominate the clubs and they don't go away, ever!!
These next few songs all were monumental in my life. They made me dance around like a moron and at peak hour (if you know what I mean) made me loooooooooooooose my mind!!!
Some of these edits are updated versions of the classics. We all know the original ones so I thought it would be interesting to give a new spin on em. I especially love Hommer's 2007 mix of Derb! Brilliant! Meanwhile, Ralphi Rosario took Razor N Guido's "Do It Again" and added some vocals to it which gave it a more circuity feel. Junior Vasquez provided a few mixes for Jonah's club anthem "Shhh...Be Quiet" and here I edited the original mix he did and his "All Y'All Be Quiet" mix which uses samples from the old school Royal House classic "Can U Party?".
On the other side of the world, Israeli DJ Gil Shwartz took Robert Miles pop trance track "Children" and gave it a little bit more punch. DJ's Skribble and Anthony Acid collaborated to produce an expertly produced update of the Jungle Bros "I'll House You" which is full of fun samples as well.
I also thought that it would be fun to combine Plasmic Honey's "Ride The Trip" with "Take Me To The Top" (and throw some samples of "I Am Ready" in there) since they are similar in their sound.
I also threw in Razor N Guido's unrelenting mix of John Creamer's "Lift Up The Needle" which is just a house music mind fuck and Junior Vasquez's mix of Charlotte's vocal anthem "Skin".
Another classic (for me anyways) is the white label mash-up of Ralphi Rosario's "You Used To Hold Me" with Yaz' 80's classic "Don't Go". I don't know WHO did this mix but I wish they would stand up and get the credit they deserve. I don't know HOW many times I've played this one before!
So, raise a glass to old school house music!! These guys were the pioneers and with their own sound and style, revolutionized the sound of electronic dance music!! All I can say is thanks for all the great memories!!!
Derb - Derb 2007 (JM's Hommer Radio Edit)
Jonah - Shhh...Be Quiet (JM's Junior Vasquez Radio Edit)
Jonah - Shhh...Be Quiet (JM's Junior Vasquez All Y'All Be Quiet Radio Edit)
Jungle Bros - I'll House You (JM's Skribble and Anthony Acid Radio Edit)
John Creamer - Lift Up The Needle (JM's Razor N Guido Radio Edit)
Plasmic Honey - Take The Ride To The Top of the Trip (JM's Double Stacked White Nike Radio Mix)
Ralphi Rosario vs Yaz - You Used To Hold Me (JM's Whitelabel Radio Edit)
Razor N Guido - Do It Again 2006 (JM's Ralphi Rosario Radio Edit)
Robert Miles - Children 2006 (JM's Gil Shwartz Radio Edit)
Charlotte - Skin (JM's Junior Vasquez Radio Edit)

No comments: