Friday, July 18, 2008

Thunderpuss (Part Two)


Thunderpuss appears to be quite the popular post right now! I've been getting alot of good feedback from it and Im happy to give you more of their music!
The thing thats great about Thunderpuss also is that they both actually work on the music together...er...they DID I should say. With alot of remixers, they have the ideas but dont really get very hands on, they're DJ's and they've got the creative side down pat (which is absolutely necesary) but when it comes to engineering and programming, they call in the cohorts.
Chris and Barry both did everything from A to Z which could be why they were one of the biggest remixing team ever!!!
Amber - Taste The Tears (Thunderpuss Radio Edit) **Official Edit**
**Amber had so much great music that some of it did get lost in the shuffle. Such is the case with this song! Thunderpuss originally did a pop production for it, but naturally they made one dancefloor friendly as well. If you can get the full mix, it's worth it. There's a break in it where the beats stop, Amber laughs and just says 'Drama' and then a you hear a dish breaking noise in it. Gag-worthy!!**
Britney Spears - I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman (Thunderpuss Radio Edit) **Official Edit**
**Back when Britney was making the move from teen queen to pop royalty, she released this little ditty. It's kinda cheesy (and co-written by Dido strangely enough) but Thunderpuss did what they could with this and if you listen to the vocals, they did ALOT of work on them to make them fit with this mix and Im sure that wasn't easy. Still, I love it! Viva La T-Puss!**
Celine Dion - I Want You To Need Me (Thunderpuss Radio Edit) **Official Edit**
**Wow. That's all I can say. Wow. This may be my favorite Thunderpuss remix ever. From start to finish this mix is just incredible! I love Celine on the dancefloor and this is just a hands in the air diva vocal if I ever heard one!!**
Deni Hines - I Like The Way (JM's Thunderpuss Radio Mix)
**This song is special in that this was the very first Thunderpuss production!! The Australian R&B songstress released this song off her "Imagination" CD in 1996 and now that Chris & Barry had joined forces, they took this on earning their first top 10 dance hit, when this song hit #4 on the US dance charts!**
Enrique Iglasias - Escape (Thunderpuss Radio Edit) **Official Edit**
**Latin hottie Enrique Iglasias was riding the high life in 2001 when he released this single from his 2nd English CD also of the same name. Every single of his in Spanish and in English had hit #1 on the US Latin charts (aside from "Be With You" that reached #2) and this would be his second #2 single. Even though he had that mole, he was still hot to me! Haha! My friends and I used to sing "You can run, you can hide but you can't escape my mole!". I know it's mean, but it makes me giggle! Thunderpuss of course riding high as well and this earned them yet another #1 on the US dance charts!**
Kristine W - Clubland (Thunderpuss Radio Edit) **Official Edit**
**This one is probably one of Kristine's most fun songs ever! The original had her scatting (get your filthy minds out of the gutter!), be-bopping and blowin her saxophone all over it! Thunderpuss amped the energy up and really gave Kristine something to scat about!! :-P This was only released as a B-side to Kristine's single for "Stronger" and I'll never know why! Both the vocal and the ThunderDUB on this are amazing so check them both out! I also love her lyrics 'Every night you re-invent what you really want to be. He’s a she but we all agree. It’s a party blow your own horn. Down in clubland. Underground in clubland. You want to blow your own horn. It’s alive in clubland. Never dies in clubland. You got to blow your own horn!"**
Shakira - Underneath Your Clothes (Thunderpuss Radio Edit) **Official Edit**
**Another one of my fave T-Puss edits! The thing that actually dissappointed me on this mix was that the radio edit and the club mix were completely different. The club mix was stripped down with minimal synths and no big breakdown. This edit tho, is synth galore (and lots of cowbell--I. Love. Cowbells!! lol) and the breakdown is killer!!! This mix earned T-Puss and Shakira the #5 spot on the dance charts as well.**
Tamia - Stranger In My House (Thunderpuss Radio Edit) **Official Edit**
**When this song came out, I was sure that it would never die!!! Don't get me wrong--Loved the song, really and truly--But between club play and radio play, they beat this song to DEATH!! Now, several years later, I can listen to it again with enthusiasm I had for it the first time. We all knows Hex's mix for this and it was legendary and definitely one of the best of his career, but for me, it was all about the T-Puss mix! The 'pop quiz' breakdown is one of the best that Thunderpuss has ever put together!**
Thunderpuss - Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag (Radio Edit) **Official Edit**
**When I first saw this CD and saw the title, I was so confused. I had heard the term Pigbag when talking about football but I didn't exactly see the corrollation. Well, for all those who don't get it--Here's the story: Pigbag was a British post-punk band who formed around 1980. This song, which was born out of a random jam session, became their signature song, the title a play on James Brown's "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag". The song's legacy continues on being played at sports events around the world. I'm not sure why Thunderpuss decided to cover it, but if you get ahold of the original and this one, it really shows just how versatile Thunderpuss was!**
Thunderpuss feat Latanza Waters - Stand Up (Radio Edit) **Official Edit**
**The Magic Cucumbers' classic which originally featured Jocelyn Brown and Connie Harvey gets an update from Thunderpuss in a major way!! The original was great, but Thunderpuss really took it to the next level here with build ups, vocal effects, hard driving synths and an outstanding vocal from miss Latanza Waters.**

1 comment:

DavidV said...

A bit of pre-TP history of Chris Cox. He used to work for Hot Tracks. I have a couple of vinyl sets (Issues 9-1 and 10-4) that were both produced by him. Do you remember the days of Hot Tracks and the other DJ labels or are you too young for that? These are from 1987 and 1990. Wow!

Also, I believe that Whitney Houston gave them their big "break into mainstream" when she got them to remix "It's not Right, But it's OK" after hearing some of their work. I know you get tired of the 15 minute anthem, but the unreleased 15 minute version of that track rocks!

I think I shed a tear when these guys called it quits. :'(