Thursday, September 20, 2007

I Drove All Night: A Retrospective


There are certain pop songs that just seem to stand out from the rest. "I Drove All Night" in all it's incarnations is one of those songs for me.
While I do favor the version I linked below, there is a little bit of background to this song.
Originally written by Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly for Roy Orbison in 1987, it was Cyndi Lauper's version in 1989 that became a top-ten hit (and subsequently her last top-ten hit to date). Roy's version never saw the light of day until 1992, after it was released posthumously after Roy had passed away.
However, it was in 2003 that this song saw the light of day once again when Celine Dion decided to re-record it for her One Heart album. Like Billie Ray Martin, what can't Celine sing? Her vocals soar in this one and Hex Hector's remix keeps up perfectly with her throughout.
This song went to number 1 for Celine in 3 countries and was in the top-ten charts of 10 other countries! Even though in their own rights, Cyndi's and Roy's versions are great, Celine's takes the cake for me!
The song was even featured in TV commercials for the Chrysler Pacifica crossover vehicle.
Celine Dion - I Drove All Night (JM's Hex Hector Radio Edit)

No comments: